Your questions answered.
1. Who are the awards for?
The St John Ambulance Everyday Heroes Awards, open to all,
regardless of whether you have had first aid training with St John
Ambulance or another provider. We welcome applications from
individuals, businesses, public sector organisations, shops,
schools and many more.
For more information please check our award categories.
Our awards recognise:
- Individuals who have saved lives and/or
championed first aid
- Organisations that have made an impact on the
community by providing first aid, including high-street retailers,
leisure and tourism organisations, and schools
- Workplaces in the private and public sectors
that have gone above and beyond first aid legal requirements to
provide an outstanding workplace or a reassuring environment for
customers and the public.
Only British and EU citizens and organisations resident in the
UK, except for Scotland, are eligible for an award. Entries from Wales may be shared with St John
Please contact St Andrew's
First Aid if you or your organisation are from Scotland.
2. What's the deadline for nominations?
Nominations for the 2017 awards closed on 23 April.
Details of how to nominate for the 2018 awards will be announced
next year - follow St John Ambulance on Facebook and Twitter for the
3. Which award should I nominate for?
There are categories for both
organisations and individuals.
Awards for individuals
These awards honour special individuals committed to first aid,
who have shown courage and, in some cases, been the difference
between a life lost and a life saved. Nominations are welcome from
individuals from organisations as well as those who represent
Awards for organisations
These categories honour organisations that are engaging
communities, exceeding expectations and delivering excellence in
first aid. They recognise organisations which encourage awareness
of the importance of first aid, both in the workplace and in the
5. Is there a limit to how many awards we can enter?
There isn't a limit, but you will need to fill in a separate
nomination form for each award. We actively encourage people to
nominate both individuals and organisations.
6. What should I include in my form?
The judges make their decision solely based on the information
contained in your application, so take the time to discuss all the
important elements that set your submission apart.
The judges are keen to learn of uplifting stories of first aid
excellence, both in the planning and delivery, and how that first
aid excellence is communicated within your organisation and the
7. Can I enter if I'm not trained by St John Ambulance?
Yes – we welcome entries from those with alternative first aid
training. The important thing is that people are learning first
aid; the provider will not be taken into account.
8. How will I know if I have been successful?
You will be contacted by email and/or phone by our Events team.
Finalists will also be listed on the website. We will let all
entrants know whether they have been successful.
9. What can businesses get out of it?
Organisations entering the awards are making a statement that
they value the welfare of their employees, customers and
They are showing that they support and recognise the commitment
of their first aiders, who are often unsung heroes.
In addition, there are the following benefits:
- Recognition and respect for first aid success and hard
- The chance to attend the St John Ambulance's Everyday Heroes
ceremony and dinner, which provides the unique opportunity to mix
with celebrities and businesses
- PR opportunities both during the awards promotion and
post-awards, led by our award-winning PR team
- The winners and finalists will be given a logo to use on their
marketing literature and letterheads
- The winners and finalists will be featured on our event
- Winners will receive a trophy and finalists a certificate to
demonstrate their success
- Association with the values and good reputation of the St John
10. When and where?
St John Ambulance's Everyday Heroes Awards 2017 ceremony and
dinner was held at Hilton London Bankside on 28 September 2017.
Details of the 2018 event will be announced in due course.
11. How much does it cost to nominate?
Nominations are free and every shortlisted entry gets one free
place to attend the awards.
12. How do I attend the awards?
Please visit the attend page for more information on how to
13. How can I get in contact?
For queries regarding the awards, please contact us at
020 7324 4092
For press enquiries, please call 020 7324 4171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Urgent media out-of-hours enquiries: 07860 711 679