Guy Evans Young Hero Award 2017
The Guy Evans Young Hero Award recognises a young person who
has saved a life. The award is made in honour of Guy Evans, who
died when first aid might have given him a chance to live.
Caine Wildman - WINNER
Hero son gives CPR to father and saves his
Caine Wildman, aged 14, came home from school to find his father
collapsed on the sofa not breathing and unresponsive. Caine
immediately took control of the situation by firstly placing his
father on to the floor, calling an ambulance and started CPR, while
he waited for the paramedics to arrive to take over. When they
arrived, Caine continued in a cool manner and helped to calm down
his two younger siblings. Without Caine completing the CPR, Caine's
father Craig Wildman was told by the consultants that Caine was a
hero and undoubtedly saved his life by his cool, calm actions and
first aid skills.
10 year old saves mum from choking to death
When mum Lisa Hollinshead, started to choke, son Dominic, aged
10, acted fast and put the first aid skills he’d learned from St
John Ambulance’s Big First Aid Lesson at school to the very best
use. Lisa was relaxing watching television and snacking on pork
scratchings when a piece got stuck and she started to choke.
Although normally in bed at that time, 10pm, Dom had gone
downstairs for some reason and raced into help his mum. Dom knew
exactly what to do and performed abdominal thrusts on Lisa to
dislodge to piece of pork scratching. On the fourth thrust the
obstruction flew out.
Teenager treats herself following severe bleed in axe
Emily Budinger, aged 16 was chopping firewood at a camp in
Canada when her axe made contact with her leg and caused a deep
laceration. She used her clothing to stop the bleeding and treat
herself for shock. When her campmates arrived, one of them fainted.
She instructed one of the campers to remember the recovery position
and make sure the other casualty had an open airway. Once a first
aider arrived, she was taken to hospital and made a full
Teenager saves mum suffering rare heart
Amy Crowther's mum, Jo, picked up her children from school and
was feeling poorly. When they got home she felt so ill that she
asked Amy to watch the younger children as she needed to go and lie
down. Amy said she wanted to check Jo's temperature and when she
went to get the thermometer, Jo lost consciousness. Amy kept very
calm, called an ambulance and explained what was happening, rang
her dad and when she couldn't get him she rang her grandparents.
The younger boys heard the commotion and went upstairs but Amy told
them everything was fine and didn’t let them into mum's bedroom. It
must have been terrifying for Amy but she kept calm throughout.
Paramedics arrived and Amy went with her to hospital. Following
investigations it was discovered that Jo had had a heart attack due
to a spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD), a rare,
sometimes fatal condition.
Teenager treats skate park head injury
Whilst Ellis Rudge was in the skate park, he witnessed a boy,
Mason Kent, who had fallen badly and banged his head. Ellis
assessed the situation, realised that Mason had passed out and
straight away placed him in the recovery position. He took his coat
off and placed it under Mason’s head in an effort to make him
comfortable. Ellis then managed to alert those around him to call
for an ambulance and locate Mason’s parents. When the paramedics
arrived, Ellis despite only being 12 years old, was able to deliver
a credible and thorough brief to them. Mason had sustained internal
bruising to his skull, but the swift action taken by Ellis that day
ensured that Mason received professional medical assistance as soon