TV feature saves child’s life
A mother was able to save her child’s life after
watching St John Ambulance demonstrate first aid on
ITV1’s This Morning.
Sam Windebank, from North Baddlesley, Hampshire, found her
daughter Maddie floating face down in a garden pond. The
one-year-old had stopped breathing and turned blue after falling
into the water.
Luckily Sam watched a feature on first aid led by Dr
Chris Steele on the ITV1 show This Morning, including
a demonstration of resuscitation, and was able to use these new
skills to help Maddie regain consciousness. Doctors told Sam her
quick thinking had made the difference between life and death.
It just shows how easy first aid is to learn but also the importance of it.
Training Development Manager, St John Ambulance
Clive James, Training Development Manager at St John Ambulance,
demonstrated CPR, the recovery position and the procedure for
choking on the show. He said: ‘When we show people first aid on TV
we always hope they’ll take something away from it but to hear that
someone has saved their child’s life after watching is an amazing
feeling. It just shows how easy first aid is to learn but also the
importance of it. You can never predict when you might need it
which is why we encourage people of all ages to learn.’
The organisation has courses from
three hours to a few days in length. It’s also encouraging more
schools to teach first aid.