Horsham-based Mum Trudi Scrase, 36, was glad of her first aid
skills when her daughter Lucy, now three, began to choke at nine
Trudi explained: ‘Lucy was suffering from a cold and had kept my
partner and I awake for most of the night. We both drifted off to
sleep but when I woke up and checked on Lucy, I was horrified to
find that her body had become floppy and she was turning blue.’
Luckily Trudi had first aid knowledge and instantly knew to give
Lucy back slaps dislodging the phlegm which had blocked her
Trudi said: ‘By the time the ambulance arrived Lucy was
breathing normally again and was her usual giggly self. I was just
so glad that my years of St John Ambulance first aid training meant
that I knew what to do to be able to save her life.
First aid really can be the difference between life and death
and having to deal with Lucy’s incident just shows how essential it
is for parents of babies and young children to learn first aid
sooner rather than later.'