Basic first aid
If you've seen our Save a Life
September or The Chokeables videos and want to
learn first aid for all ages, then the course we recommend is
Essential first aid (all
ages).This course will teach you everyday first aid
skills, which are invaluable when accidents happen around the home
- and when you're out and about. It doesn't include CPR.
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for members of the public who want to learn
first aid without having to do resuscitation or CPR.
St John Ambulance welcomes young people from the age of
12 onto all our community first aid courses. If
under the age of 16, you must
attend with a responsible adult member of the
family or guardian (two young people per adult).
The course covers how to deal with minor and deteriorating
conditions in any casualty.
- communication and casualty care
- looking after yourself and the casualty
- treatment of minor bleeding and minor burns
- treatment of an unconscious casualty
- priorities of first aid and managing the scene
- treatment of a choking casualty
- treatment of fainting, bites and stings, sprains and
Three or six hours (depending on region/course).
Assessment and certification
Continuous assessment by trainer.
Is this training for me?
To learn first aid skills appropriate for use in the workplace
you should complete a
First aid at work or
Emergency first aid at work course. If you’re unsure what first
aid training is appropriate for your workplace, use our
free requirements calculator.
Reserve your place on this course