Paediatric first aid
This two-day paediatric first aid course focuses on
emergency scenarios that face those looking after young
children and infants, including day nurseries, private nursery
schools, pre-schools, before and after school clubs for children in
the early years age group, childminders and carers of children at
The paediatric first aid course meets the Ofsted Early Years and
Childcare Register requirements.
Who should attend?
This course is for people working with young children and those
working towards an Early Years educator qualification.
What you will learn?
Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first
Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a
- who is who is unresponsive and breathing normally
- who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- who has a foreign body airway obstruction
- with external bleeding
- with injuries to bones, joints and muscles.
Understand how to administer emergency first aid to an
infant and a child with a chronic medical condition or sudden
- sickle cell crisis
- diabetic emergencies
- asthma attack
- allergic reaction
- febrile convulsions.
Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and
- who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat and cold
- who has sustained an electric shock
- with burns or scalds
- who has been poisoned
- who has been bitten or stung
- with minor injuries, including cuts, grazes, bumps and bruises,
small splinters and nose bleeds
- with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
- with head and spinal injuries
- with anaphylaxis
- who is suffering from shock.
Understand how to complete records relating to
illnesses, injuries and emergencies.
Assessment and certification
Practical skills are assessed by continuous observation by the
trainer and there is a written assessment paper to check
Learners need a basic command of English
So whilst we are often able to provide support to people who for
example do not have English as a first language, our ability to do
so is limited by the time available and the number of people who
require assistance, although we may be able to make special
arrangements if requested in advance. Please phone us 0844 770
4800 if you need any guidance.
Book your place on this course