Mental Health First Aid - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the impact of poor mental health in the workplace?
- How effective are the Mental Health First Aid courses?
- Why become a Mental Health First Aid First Aider?
- Why take a 1-day Mental Health First Aid course?
- Why choose St John Ambulance?
- How much do the Mental Health First Aid courses cost?
- Are there any legal requirements to have mental health first
aiders in the workplace?
- Do I need prior knowledge of mental health to attend the
- What resources will I receive on the courses?
- What happens if I lose my MHFA manual?
- Who issues the certification and when can I expect to receive
- What happens if I lose or require a replacement
- How long are the certificates valid for, will I need to take a
- Is there an age restriction on who can take the course?
1. What is the impact of poor mental health in the
Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental
illness each year. In 2016, 15.8 million UK work days were lost due
to mental illness.*
The largest causes of sickness absence for our county’s workforce
is depression, stress, and anxiety. Mental illness costs UK
businesses around £35 billion every year, this equates to £10.6
billion lost to sickness absence, £21.2 billion in reduced
productivity, and £3.1 billion in substituting staff members who
vacate their roles due to mental illness.**
2. How effective are the Mental Health First Aid courses?
Independent research and evaluation shows that taking part in a
MHFA course raises awareness of mental illnesses, encourages early
intervention to aid recovery, increases confidence in dealing with
mental illnesses and reduces stigma.**
Research suggests that improving UK workplace mental health
management could reduce employers’ losses attributed to mental
illness by 30%, collectively saving £8 billion a year.***
3. Why become a Mental Health First Aid First Aider?
Becoming a Mental Health First Aid First Aider on our 2-day
course improves and increases mental health awareness across
society and gives delegates the skills necessary to have a
non-judgmental conversation, recognise the signs and symptoms of
common mental health issues and effectively guide a person towards
the right mental health support.
Delegates will also gain an in depth understanding of mental
health and the factors that can affect wellbeing, as well as
practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental illness,
and the confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in
Becoming a Mental Health First Aider also enhances your
interpersonal skills, such as non-judgemental listening, and will
equip you with the knowledge to help someone recover their health
by guiding them to further support - whether that’s self-help
resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix.
4. Why take a 1-day Mental Health First Aid course?
The 1-day Mental Health First Aid course will
give delegates a greater awareness of mental health, allowing them
to detect early symptoms of common mental illnesses and the skills
to support their own and others’ positive wellbeing.
Delegates will also gain an understanding of common mental
health issues and the knowledge and confidence to advocate for
mental health awareness. Becoming a Mental Health First Aid
Champion will allow delegates to spot the signs of ill mental
health and equip them with the skills to support positive
5. Why choose St John Ambulance?
We are the nation’s largest first aid training provider,
delivering quality training courses that enable thousands of people
to save lives. We’re using our extensive training experience in
collaboration with Mental Health First Aid England to deliver
internationally recognised mental health first aid courses to
improve society’s ability to support mental illness.
6. How much do the Mental Health First Aid courses cost?
7. Are there any legal requirements to have mental health first
aiders in the workplace?
Currently there are no legal requirements to have designated
mental health first aiders in the workplace. However, employers
have a legal duty to ensure that employees are provided with a safe
working environment and must take reasonable care to prevent
personal injury (including mental or physical harm) that may arise
in the workplace.
8. Do I need prior knowledge of mental health to attend the
No, prior knowledge is not required, but an interest in the
subject is strongly advisable.
9. What resources will I receive on the courses?
All delegates receive a MHFA manual, workbook, and line
10. What happens if I lose my MHFA manual?
We can provide a replacement manual, but there will be a charge
associated with this.
11. Who issues the certification and when can I expect to
Mental Health First Aid England issue the certificates and
delegates can expect to receive their certificate one month after
attending the course.
12. What happens if I lose or require a replacement
Delegates can request a replacement certificate by contacting
MHFA England directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
13. How long are the certificates valid for, will I need to
take a refresher?
All certificates are valid for three years. The refresher
course should be attended annually by delegates who have completed
a 1 or 2-day mental health first aid course.
14. Is there an age restriction on who can take the
Delegates must be 16 or older to attend the course.
*Office for National Statistics
***Centre for Mental Health