Homeless Service General Volunteer
No one should die because they needed first aid and didn’t get it. St John Ambulance teaches people first aid so they can be the difference between life and death, and you can help us do this.
As a Homeless Service General Volunteer you will provide holistic, social support to homeless and vulnerably housed clients and assist nurses and podiatrists in the delivery of clinical care. You will also be part of a team who will:
- Engage with homeless and vulnerably housed clients, making them feel valued by maintaining a supportive and non-judgemental attitude.
- Physical and mental health promotion within the boundaries of training received.
- Advocacy and signposting towards mainstream healthcare, housing and other services.
- Practical assistance for the nurse or podiatrist in setting up or clearing up after treatment.
- Administering first aid as necessary, according to level of training received.
- Recording of client contact, providing information for monitoring purposes and handling these records in accordance with patient confidentiality and the St John Ambulance Data Protection Policy.
- Attending monthly evening training sessions and role revalidations.
Full first aid and other relevant training given Attendance at monthly evening meetings desirable for further training / service updates. Driver who would be interested in training to drive treatment centre vehicle desirable.
Upon successful application, first aid, homelessness awareness and further additional training will commence. Please bring relevant ID for DBS check to be carried out. Volunteer can begin shadowing outreach shifts during training. Please let us know if you would be interested in training to become a treatment centre vehicle driver.
For more information please contact Katy Matthews - Katy.Matthews@sja.org.uk
The closing date for this post is Friday 22nd February 2019.
Interviews will be take place on Friday 1st March 2019.
If you are an existing SJA volunteer or employee, please apply here
If you are external to SJA, please apply below: