Patricia Bentley from Leicestershire
‘I was at
my mother-in-law’s house when I heard her neighbour Kerry Brooke
shouting. I walked to my car and realised she had her 10-month-old
daughter, Olivia, over her shoulder while screaming down the phone
to the 999 operator saying, “My baby is choking.”
I dashed over and it was obvious Olivia was struggling to breathe
as she was turning blue.
I crouched down with one knee higher than the other and placed
Olivia head downward, supporting her head and gave her five
sharp slaps on the back. After a few blows, a piece of
mince was sitting at the front of her mouth which I carefully
removed. Olivia took a huge gasp of air and started to cry
which was a relief.
At the time, I didn’t think what I was doing, it was just a
natural instinct and my first aid skills just kicked