Workplace Hero Award 2017
Mark Goatcher - WINNER
School hero uses CPR to save pupil
Mark was called to a pupil who was unresponsive and not
breathing. Mark began to deliver CPR, whilst another member of
staff called 999. The paramedics arrived and continued CPR before
the pupil was transported to hospital where he spent some time in
an Intensive Care Unit. He has recently been discharged from
hospital following extensive cardiac surgery, where he had a
pacemaker fitted and is now on the road to recovery with the hope
of returning to school soon, thanks to Mark's quick response and
first aid skills.
Teaching assistant saves boy from choking on dinner
Margaret had escorted the class from the playground at the end
of lunch and sat the children down ready for registration. While
she was taking the register, she noticed one little boy struggling
to breath and changing colour. She rushed to the child who was
choking and stood him up. She tried clearing the blockage with back
thrusts but this did not work and in the end used abdominal
thrusts. To her surprise a coin, from his dinner money, flew out.
At the time she didn’t think much of it. After the child had left
the school she was feeling shaken as it could so easily have been a
completely different ending had she not had life saving skills.
Store manager saves little boy choking on
Callum Cherry saved the life of a six year old boy after he
removed a piece of popcorn lodged in his throat. Callum was on a
break outside the store when he saw Lucas Laghari choking. He ran
over to the boy and gave back slaps to help dislodge the popcorn.
An ambulance was called and the boy was taken to hospital. The
boy’s parents have credited him with saving their son’s life.
Heroine spotted stroke signs and saved life of
Hannah Taplin saved the life of a customer who began having a
stroke in the pub she works in. Mr Falwasser was a regular customer
and had driven to The White Hart pub following a stay in hospital.
When his face began to droop on one side, Hannah noticed straight
away and called an ambulance. She organised her colleagues to make
him as comfortable as possible until paramedics arrived. His
specialist stated that without her prompt diagnosis and action he
would not have survived.