You are here:


When a person is electrocuted, the electric current passing through the body may stun them, causing their breathing and heartbeat to stop. The electric current can also cause burns when it enters the body and where it leaves.

Low voltage current

Currents used in the workplace and at home can cause serious injury. Incidents are generally due to faulty or loose switches, defective appliances or frayed flexes.

Electric shock can also be caused by handling an electric appliance with wet hands as water is a very effective conductor of electricity.

What you need to do

  • 1. Assess the situation. Firstly look to see if the casualty is still in contact with the electrical source and if so do not touch them as then you are at risk of electrocution.
  • 2. Turn off the source of electricity to break the contact between the electrical supply and the casualty.
  • 3. Alternatively, move the source away from the casualty. You may need to stand on some dry insulating material (such as a plastic mat or wooden box) and use a broom or wooden pole to push the casualty's limb away from the source.

Book a first aid course

With thousands of training courses across the country, be the difference between a life lost and a life saved and book now.

Find your course