First aid at air festival incident
Five people, including two children, were treated and taken
by St John Ambulance Suffolk last
week after an incident at the Lowestoft Seafront Air
Some 17 spectators were treated in total
when a fuel line burst at the RAF display stand,
spraying fuel. Five were subsequently taken to
hospital by members of St John Ambulance Suffolk, who have
been providing first aid cover for the two day event.
Injuries included burns from unleaded petrol
and the first crews from St John Ambulance were on the
scene within two minutes, deploying 15 members, three
paramedics and one doctor.
A team of over
50 volunteers were in attendance at the Air Festival
along with four ambulances, three first aid units, two response
units, a mini bus and a communications unit who were on standby to
deal with such events or casualties.
The team treated 50
casualties, with a large number of these suffering from
heat exhaustion, due to the soaring temperatures.
In addition, a teenager was
electrocuted and suffered minor injuries after an incident
believed to have happened at the amusement arcade area.
Tony Curd, County Commander of St John
Ambulance Suffolk, said:‘The Lowestoft Air
Festival is one of the major public events covered by our
‘Our role is to ensure that the public have a
safe and enjoyable day, with the reassuring presence of our
personnel on hand in the event of any emergency.
Although the incident could have potentially
been very serious, we are all relieved that nothing significant
resulted from this and that we were on hand to provide assistance
for those caught up in the incident.’
St John Ambulance Suffolk has been providing
first aid support at Lowestoft Air Festival for over ten years,
since the event first began in 1997.