Who We Are
Since 1877, St John Ambulance has cared for communities in need. We’re part of an international royal order of chivalry with our roots dating back to the Middle Ages but with a very modern feel.
We are St John Ambulance; a volunteer-led health and first aid charity – responding to emergencies, supporting communities and saving lives.
In 2019, our Ambulance Operations re-formed and took a new direction. We employ more than 1,700 staff and welcome some 20,000 volunteers to the mix who, together, support over 150,000 patients each year. Our ambulance people have the skills to provide a safe, caring and effective service which we’re really proud of. We’re ready to welcome you too!
We offer many staff benefits, development opportunities and a genuinely supportive working environment to ensure you have the skills, knowledge and confidence to be there for patients. Our staff come from a huge variety of backgrounds, and we all benefit from the wide range of experience they bring to our team.
We employ more than 1,700 staff and welcome some 20,000 volunteers to the mix who, together, support over 150,000 patients each year.
Our HEART values
We know that being a good employer is about much more than providing staff benefits. We have developed our values with our people that characterise all that we do and our behaviours with our patients, customers and each other.
Our HEART values spell out:
- Humanity; treating others with compassion and respect
- Excellence; pride in doing an excellent job
- Accountability; delivering what we promise
- Responsiveness; continuously learning and improving
- Teamwork; working together effectively
Each value is underpinned by behavioural standards and employees will be expected to always display these behaviours. It’s what sets us apart and leads to great patient care, high standards and a brilliant place to work and volunteer.
Surveys of our people and independent assessments all tell us that our staff feel very loyal to the organisation and would recommend it as a place to work.
Pay and benefits
- Competitive salary – whilst we’re a charity at heart, we pay competitive rates of pay in relation to the ambulance market. It’s the right thing to do.
- Unsocial hours uplift – we recognise that working out of normal hours adds complexities and so we pay up to 20% uplift on unsocial hours worked in frontline roles.
- Overtime premiums – we offer overtime opportunities to help fund that special purchase or event and we do so with a 20% uplift on your standard pay rates.
Supporting our people
- Wellbeing support and advice helpline – As well as great internal support, all our people have 24/7 access to a support line including specialist information advisors and trained counsellors
- Increasing annual leave scheme with ability to buy 5 extra annual leave days – we recognise the need to take time to recharge and we also recognise loyal service. You’ll get an increased annual leave allowance after 3- and 5-years’ service as well as the ability to buy more annual leave to fully recharge.
- Development opportunities – From our Developing Future Managers programme to coaching as well as clinical progression, we’re keen to help you succeed
- Pension scheme – We want to make sure you’re well looked after into the future, so we contribute 100% of your commitment to our salary sacrifice pension scheme
- Access to discounts – Being a part of our team also enables you access to both a Blue Light Card as well as an internal discount portal giving you thousands of places to save when you spend! Think gyms, cinemas, holidays, eating out and shopping.
- Group Life Assurance scheme – Whilst we hope it’ll never be needed; we provide a Death in Service scheme for all employees under State Pension age to help loved ones should the worst happen.
- Cycle to work scheme – We subscribe to a Cycle to Work scheme that is accessible to all our people. What better way to let off steam at the end of a shift than to feel the fresh air!
- Season ticket loan – Let’s help you travel to your usual workplace by public transport if you can with a season ticket loan over 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.
- Volunteering leave – as a volunteer-led organisation, let’s help you volunteer in a cause close to your heart. You’ll get some time to volunteer in another organisation each year, or more if you choose to volunteer in St John.
- Flexible working – We seek to offer employees alternative working patterns that will help them to strike a balance between their paid work and their personal life.
- Celebrating communities in our People Networks – Why not join one of our people networks helping to shape the way we operate. We have various networks including Pride Network, Women’s Network, Accessibility Network and Multi-Culture Network and a Family and Carer’s Network.