If you’re leaving a burning building:
- Activate the first alarm you see and help others to evacuate.
- Close doors behind you.
- Follow evacuation procedure or follow escape route signs.
If someone’s clothing is on fire:
- Stop the casualty from moving.
- Drop them to the floor and wrap in a fire blanket or heavy fabric.
- Roll them along the ground until the flames go out.
If there’s smoke and fumes:
- Go to front of the building and close the door.
- Block any gaps under doors, open the window and shout for help.
- Stay low – air at floor level is clearest.
- Check your landing point if escaping from a high window. Climb out backwards, feet first.