This apprenticeship will launch in January 2021. We're expecting places to fill up fast, so you can register your interest now
The Level 5 Leader in Adult Care is perfect for leaders and managers within the health and social care sector. These leaders will guide and inspire their teams to make positive differences to someone’s life when they are faced with physical, practical, social, emotional, psychological or intellectual challenges. They will be a leader of the care team and will develop and implement a values-based culture at a service or unit level.
This apprenticeship is ideal for registered managers of a care service, unit, deputy or an assistant manager. These leaders have a responsibility to ensure the service is safe, effective, caring, responsive to people’s needs and well-led, as well as ensure regulatory compliance of the care given and the values and training of staff with established standards and regulations. They may also have a high level of responsibility for example in business development, financial control, organisational resilience and continuity as well as for managing risk and leading on organisational change.
Apprentices will gain a Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Adult Care (England).
Key behaviours and values:
- Care – is caring consistently and enough about individuals to make a positive difference to their lives
- Compassion – is delivering care and support with kindness, consideration, dignity, empathy and respect
- Courage – is doing the right thing for people and speaking up if the individual they support is at risk
- Communication – good communication is central to successful caring relationships and effective team working
- Competence – is applying knowledge and skills to provide high quality care and support
Commitment - to improving the experience of people who need care and support ensuring it is person centred
Key focus areas and skills
Tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with regulations and organisational policies and procedures
- Implement strategies for risk management and monitor and sustain quality of the service Lead and support others to work in a person centred way.
- Effective and efficient resource management in complex care environments
Dignity, human rights and safeguarding
- Champion dignity, diversity, inclusion and fairness.
- Implement systems for safeguarding, with relevant monitoring and evaluation of their effectiveness.
- Ensure clear, concise record keeping and reporting, maintain data confidentiality. Develop understandable and accessible policy and guidance for a range of audiences.
Health and wellbeing
- Implementing and managing health, safety and risk process. Ensure compliance with legislation, standards and guidance, and create a culture that values health and well-being.
Professional development and leadership
- Applying best practice and research in own setting and understand the drivers in the adult care landscape.
- Develop a culture of performance improvement, through supervision, reflective practice and learning and development opportunities for colleagues.
- Promote initiative and innovation, and value the skills of all within the service.
This is a summary of the key skills, knowledge and behaviours. For a full list, see the apprenticeship standard for the Level 5 Leader in Adult Care apprenticeship.
How long will the apprenticeship last?
The Level 5 Leader in Adult Social Care Apprenticeship typically lasts 18 months (with additional time for the End Point Assessment).
How is the apprenticeship delivered?
- Face-to-face or webinar sessions
- Online learning modules
- Capturing work-based learning
- Regular review meetings
How much does the apprenticeship cost?
You can get help from the government to pay for apprenticeship training. The amount you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not. You could be eligible for extra funding depending on both your and your apprentice’s circumstances.
You can use your Apprentice Levy funding towards the cost of this apprenticeship. You pay the levy if you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year.
If you do not need to pay the levy, you pay 5% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice. Additionally, there are also incentive payments for employers who hire a new apprentice between 1 August 2020 and 30 September 2021.
For full details on apprenticeship funding & incentive payments, please check the Government's website. To register for an apprenticeship service account to access funds or pay for training on the Government's website.
Level: Level 5 Apprenticeship
Typical Duration: 18 months (plus a 3 months End Point Assessment)
End-Point Assessment Method: Observation of leadership and a professional discussion
Mode of Delivery: Blended
Looking for career opportunities?
Our other apprenticeships
Care Sector Apprenticeships
Third Sector Apprenticeships
Leadership and Management Apprenticeships
View our apprenticeships: