- Book a course
- Healthcare Professional Courses - Ambulance Driver Training
- Level 3 Certificate in Emergency Response Ambulance Driving
12th April 2021: Our CERAD courses have restarted and we're taking bookings. Find out more
What is the CERAD course?
The course teaches delegates the skills, knowledge and understanding required to drive an ambulance in an emergency.
This qualification meets the requirement for ambulance drivers who need to be compliant with changes to Section 19 of the Road Safety Act 2006 and to operate to the specification of the high speed driver training regulations of the Department for Transport.
On this course you will learn:
- How to prepare, drive and manoeuvre ambulance vehicles
- How to drive an ambulance vehicle in emergency and non-emergency situations
- Pre-shift and pre-driving vehicle checks
- Current legislation and driving regulations
- Using the vehicle's braking and steering systems
- Safely negotiating bends
- Using the vehicle' transmission systems
- Varying the speed of the vehicle
- Dual carriageway and motorway training
- Reversing and manoeuvring the vehicle
- Using the vehicle's safety systems
- Overtaking over vehicles
- Driving in adverse conditions
- Understanding human factors and conflict
- Night driving
- Emergency response driving
How is the CERAD course run?
Our CERAD course runs on weekdays over 4 weeks (teaching days are Monday to Thursday).
We are NOT currently running our weekend course. This course normally runs over 7 weekends (over a 9 week period including some Friday evenings), and may restart later in the year.
How much does the CERAD course cost?
The CERAD course costs £2,995 + VAT. This includes all tuition, practice sessions and examination costs. You will receive full support throughout the programme to ensure your success.
Am I eligible for this CERAD course?
In order to attend this course, you need to meet these eligibility requirements:
- Have a valid UK driving licence
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Have (or be waiting for) a contract with an NHS or CQC registered ambulance service
Ready to book your course? Complete this form
Step 1) To check you are eligible to take this course, please complete this form. No deposit or payment is required at this stage.
Step 2) After we've received your form and checked your eligibility to take this course, we'll contact you with potential dates and locations and enable you to complete your booking and payment.
Not sure if this course is right for you? Email us for advice
Level: Level 3 Certificate
- Weekday course (over 4 weeks)
Full course details:
Credits: 23, TQT: 230, GL: 150
Prices: £2,995 + VAT
Locations: Milton Keynes (from April 2021) and Guildford (from June 2021)
Enhanced Learning Credits:
We can accept Enhanced Learning Credits for this course.
Ready to book?
Want a different course?
Interested in volunteering?
Looking for career opportunities?
This course is taught through a mixture of classroom learning, self-guided study, and practice sessions in a vehicle. It takes 230 hours to complete (TQT).
The course is split into 2 parts:
- 80 taught course hours
- 150 additional, self-taught Guided Learning hours, which will be completed outside of the classroom.
Delegates will be assessed through a portfolio of evidence, written exams, and a practical demonstration. To be successful, delegates must attend all course dates, complete the independent study, and evening driving component.
All our trainers are highly skilled specialist instructors, able to adapt their teaching style to meet each learner’s needs. We offer individual, end-to-end support to each learner; this might include extra help with portfolio work, getting the most out of the self-taught Guided Learning Hours, or assistance with arranging placements to practice your newly acquired skills.
This qualification is internally assessed and quality assured by St John Ambulance and externally quality assured by FutureQuals External Quality Advisors.
Successful delegates will receive a certificate from FutureQuals, valid for 5 years. After this, you will need to take a requalifying assessment. Candidates should expect to receive their certificate within 1 month of completing the course.